Pesto is simple to make and a versatile sauce or dip for pasta, meats, or vegetables. Joanne uses a food processor, which makes it quick. You can also make it by hand using a mortar and pestle or a hand mixer. (my preferred way of making a quick pesto as there is less to clean up afterwards)
Make the pesto vegan by substituting the cheese with a non-dairy cheese or add roughly 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is nutty and cheesy in flavor and texture.
Our favorite ways to use Basil-Poppy Seed Pesto:
- Toss it with hot pasta
- Mix it into dips and spreads
- Pesto flatbread all the way!
- Spread it onto sandwiches
- Mix it into salad dressings
- Toss with vegetables for extra flavour!
- Add a spoonful to soups before serving
- The spicy version works very well of freshly BBQ’d veggies and meats!